Become a Local Community Representative
We are looking for creative and enterprising Local Community Representatives who are responsible for major duties essential to an active and effective cultural exchange childcare program.
Host Family Selection and Orientation
- Interview and screen families to participate in the Au Pair Program. Review Host Family applications, verify references and evaluate Host Family applicant’s ability to participate in the program.
- Provide pre-arrival orientation to selected Host Families detailing program objectives and expectations. Provide awareness of possible cross cultural communication problems and strategies for dealing with communication challenges between Host Family and the Au Pair.
Cross Cultural and Educational Component
- Create a community profile to assist the incoming Au Pair to provide her pre-arrival information about the area
- Obtain complete information on local educational institutions and assist Au Pair in selecting an educational institution for study
- Provide Cross-Cultural a for the Au Pair and the Host Family , assist in creating Cross-Cultural actives throughout the year, such as local festivals, museums, state fairs and food festivals.
- Assist the Au Pair in the registration and completion of the Educational Component, helping to ensure successful on-time completion
Communication and Counseling
- Contacting new Au Pairs within 48 hours of arrival
- Conducting an in-home Au Pair and Host Family orientation within 2 weeks or arrival
- Assist in delineating duties and responsibilities of program participants.
- Counsel Au Pair as needed to assist in adapting to American culture and life.
- Maintain monthly contact with Host Families and Au Pairs, complete and submit on-line, monthly progress reports.
- Mediate and resolve conflicts between program participants, if required.
- Report on progress of participants via internet filing system.
- Materials/information requests: Oversee and assist in response to requests from the potential Host Family questions regarding the program.
- Operate in strict accordance with the Department of State Regulations of the Au Pair J1 Visa program
Skills and Abilities
- Should be excellent speaker and communicator with demonstrated initiative, imagination, stamina, a sense of humor and a love of international cultures and languages.
- Ability to juggle and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Computer skills required; familiarity and access to internet and e-mail programs.
- Time commitment will depend your level of commitment
- Must be on call in the event of an emergency.
Special Environmental Factors
- Must be able to work off-site without supervision in a highly ethical manner.
- Flexible, occasional evening and weekend appointments required as Host Family’s schedule demands.